Monday, July 19, 2010

Fast Food Salads Part 1 (or "It's Time for Another Good Idea/Bad Idea")

This is the first part of a two-post series, mostly because I am quite tired tonight, and I have two papers to write this week.

This post is going to be a bit different than usual as well. Part I is going to be a short one, mostly on Wendy's; mostly because I like Wendy's. It's the only FF I will eat, honestly...Part two, which I will work on next week, will be about FF salads in general, some specific triumphs and failures, and finally, a product review Wendy's salads.

So, over the years Wendy's has tried the salad thing. And mostly, it's worked. They aren't terrible. The use iceberg lettuce (bad idea), but they cover the salad in tasty junk. And my naming it "junk" is no accident. But more of that later.

Anyhow, they've mostly been good. The chicken is a little weird, but not bad; and the cheese and veggies are usually really good.

Here's the new line-up of salads that Wendy's offers ("for a limited time" so they say):

http://www.wendys.com/food/Family.jsp?family=3

They all look pretty good. However, I wish that they would steer clear of using their chili on salads. Don't get me wrong. I nearly lived off their chili for years. It's the only thing on the menu with less than 300 calories and full of veggies, so hey, I am already sold. But really folks? Everyone knows that you don't put a really hot substance on iceberg lettuce. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

So, that's all I have the energy for tonight. I will be purchasing one of these salads this week, and will have a product review in my next post.

Happy Eating Folks!

2 Comments:

Blogger nic_wojic said...

The salads I have eaten from Wendy's were on days when I felt guilty for ordering a "Number whatever" and quickly decided to substitute those delicious fries for a salad. Usually I went with the small salad because of the tomatoes and broccoli and onions and stuff, but occasionally I would get the Caesar. They were both good except what I didn't like was that there was always water in the bottom of the container. Oh well, I think they do have shelf lives and this shouldn't be a problem.

Lastly, I would like to say that Here in Georgia I have noticed that Chick-fil-A seems to be the creme de la creme of fast food. A fast food that is jam packed with so much southern hospitality and love that the grease is good for you...

"Can I get fresh ground pepper on my salad?"
"MY UTMOST EXTREME PINNACLE-ACTIC PLEASURE, SIR!"

But I digress, The point being. If you have ever ordered a wrap or a salad or anything that's not deep fried from chick-fil-A I bet you were also running to the bathroom... :^/

August 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger hippyblues said...

I agree with you on Chik-fil-a! It's really good. Their chicken noodle soup is surprisingly awesome as well!

August 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home